The Main Château
The Château – Buildings
Heritage Listings - The Château, Spirit Bond, Distillery, corrugated iron sheds and brick chimney were entered on the Register of State Heritage Places in April 1994. The building was initially constructed as a winery with some additional winemaking and storage facilities. The Château is a two storey building constructed in 1890 of brick and bluestone from the Bethany quarry (where Bethany wines are now situated). It is a most significant and visually impressive building. At the time of building it was the largest building in South Australia and the largest winery in the Southern Hemisphere. The Distillery was constructed in 1890 and the Bond Store was constructed in 1911. Both buildings incorporate similar design elements to the Château.
Internal works – David Dawson Architects
Development of the Cellar Door Sales area included the opening up of entrances, removal of old offices, building of new offices and bathroom, installation of staircase, massive red gum tasting bench & bar area, fireplace and hand cut Mintaro slate floors. Previously, the area was filled with pallet storage, general warehousing and fibro offices. It is now one of the Valley’s most atmospheric Cellar Doors housed amongst hundred of barrels of maturing wine.